If you wish to enhance your social media advertising technique, you’ll want to know concerning the various kinds of social media content material and how or the place you share that content material.
Must you concentrate on images? Movies? Blogs? What about boards? And, upon getting your content material, how do you need to roll it out? You may submit on group assessment websites or live-stream it to the plenty. Understanding these various kinds of social media will assist you to develop a greater content material technique and know the place to focus your time and vitality.
That will help you out, we’ve put collectively an inventory of 14 kinds of social media each marketer must know. From social networking to video sharing and social messaging, there’s one thing for everybody (and each enterprise).
Kinds of social media
1. Social networking
2. Photo and image sharing
3. Video sharing
4. Audio sharing
5. Live streaming
6. Social messaging
7. Disappearing content apps
8. Social shopping networks
9. Interactive social media apps
10. Discussion forums
11. Microblogging platforms
12. Community blogging sites
13. Social review sites
14. Social curation and bookmarking sites
1. Social networking websites
Overview: Social networking websites enable folks to attach with one another via a shared on-line house. Customers can like, share, touch upon posts and observe different customers and companies.
For manufacturers, social media networking websites provide a possibility to construct consciousness, create a group of consumers and followers and drive visitors to web sites. By creating informative and fascinating content material, manufacturers can domesticate relationships with clients and followers that result in conversions.
Examples: Fb, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Snapchat
How manufacturers can use social networking websites:
- Submit, share and reply to viewers content material
- Straight join with others. Whether or not as buddies or followers, an engaged social following indicators clout for entrepreneurs and types alike
- Type communities and talk about related information inside them
2. Picture and picture sharing websites
Overview: Research present that visual content on social media receives more engagement than written content material. Visible property have additionally turn out to be a high precedence for contemporary manufacturers, with practically 49% of marketers saying that visuals are key to their technique.
Platforms like Instagram, which has more than 1 billion monthly active users, have made it simpler than ever earlier than to curate and share images and pictures. Manufacturers trying to implement one of these social media advertising ought to concentrate on high-quality, artistic visuals that inform a narrative.
Examples: Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest and Imgur
How manufacturers can use picture and picture sharing websites:
- Submit high-quality, artistic pictures that illustrate your model values
- Curate and promote user-generated content material by way of branded hashtags
- Have interaction with clients and followers in actual time
3. Video sharing websites
Overview: Half of all social media customers say they like video to every other form of content material. Very like image-based social websites, video hubs like YouTube, TikTok and Vimeo are attracting guests in droves by way of visible content material.
Why is video so fashionable? Properly, video content material requires much less effort for viewers to soak up. There’s no studying or no scrolling, simply watching. To not point out, movies are optimum for educating your viewers. How-to’s and tutorials are the cornerstones of social video content material.
Examples: YouTube, TikTok and Vimeo
How manufacturers can use video sharing websites:
- Use video to reveal how your services or products works
- Share buyer testimonials and success tales
- Create useful how-to guides and tutorials associated to your business
- Spotlight firm tradition with behind-the-scenes footage
4. Audio sharing websites
Overview: Audio sharing websites are a kind of social media that grew to become fashionable in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. Caught at house with Zoom fatigue, folks had been in search of a better option to eat content material, and audio-only proved to be the answer.
Social apps like Clubhouse provide customers a novel option to join with others and share concepts. This sort of social media remains to be in its early days however reveals plenty of promise for the long run.
Examples: Clubhouse, Twitter Areas and Fb Dwell Audio Rooms
How manufacturers can use audio sharing websites:
- Share behind-the-scenes content material, like interviews with workers and firm leaders
- Host stay occasions and Q&A occasions with clients or specialists in your business
- Take listeners on a journey by sharing audio tales or vignettes
5. Dwell streaming apps
Overview: Dwell streaming apps enable customers to share real-time video with their followers. This content material is usually unedited and genuine, giving viewers a particular behind-the-scenes glimpse into the lifetime of the individual streaming.
The stay streaming market is booming, with greater than 482 billion hours watched in 2020 alone. Stream all the pieces from live shows to eSports, product launches and past.
Examples: YouTube Dwell, Fb Dwell, Twitch and UStream
How manufacturers can use stay streaming apps:
- Give viewers a candid take a look at your model
- Construct anticipation for upcoming merchandise or occasions with stay teasers
- Improve gross sales by providing unique offers and reductions to viewers tuning in stay
6. Social messaging apps
Overview: Social messaging apps are a kind of social media that enables customers to speak in actual time. One of the crucial fashionable messaging apps—WhatsApp— has greater than 200 billion monthly users!
Whereas they aren’t historically considered a advertising device, messaging apps like WhatsApp generally is a highly effective option to attain and interact along with your target market. Manufacturers can use them to supply customer support, product suggestions and even to make gross sales.
Examples: Fb Messenger, Twitter DMs, Google Enterprise Messenger, WhatsApp and WeChat
How manufacturers can use social messaging apps:
- Use chatbots to reply buyer questions
- Ship out automated coupon codes or low cost gives
- Create a personal group for loyal clients and followers
- Use Sensible Inbox to watch all incoming messages and conversations in a single place
7. Disappearing content material apps
Overview: Disappearing content material, also referred to as ephemeral content material, refers to content material that solely exists for a brief time period earlier than it expires or is now not accessible. Snapchat popularized this format, however now different platforms like Instagram, Fb and WhatsApp provide comparable options.
Disappearing content material is a good way so as to add pleasure and urgency to your advertising campaigns. It could possibly additionally assist you to join with youthful audiences who are likely to flock to one of these social media. Instagram Tales alone have greater than 500 million daily active users.
Examples: Snapchat, Instagram Tales and Fb Tales
How manufacturers can use disappearing content material apps:
- Promote time-sensitive gross sales and reductions
- Encourage your viewers to share their very own disappearing content material
- Create behind-the-scenes content material to offer your viewers a peek into your model
8. Social purchasing networks
Overview: Social purchasing has turn out to be more and more fashionable lately. Most social media platforms now enable customers to browse and buy merchandise with out ever leaving their app.
This a handy means for shoppers to buy, and it offers manufacturers with a novel alternative to promote their merchandise on to their target market. Contemplating that 60% of people say they discover new merchandise on Instagram, and 75% of Pinterest users say they’re “at all times purchasing” within the app, social purchasing holds plenty of worth for companies.
Examples: Fb for Enterprise, Shopify x TikTok, Instagram Store and Pinterest Shoppable Pins
How manufacturers can use social purchasing networks :
- Create a Fb store and hyperlink it to your Fb and Instagram pages
- Use Pinterest Shoppable Pins to tag merchandise in your posts and permit customers to buy them with out leaving the app
- Add a TikTok Store to your profile and promote merchandise on to your followers
- Tag merchandise in Instagram posts and Tales and hyperlink to your web site or different platforms like Shopify
9. Interactive social media apps
Overview: A majority of these social media apps concentrate on consumer interplay and engagement. They encourage customers to speak, often via gamification, competitions or voting.
For instance, Snapchat’s “Lenses” function lets customers add augmented-reality filters to their images and movies. And, TikTok has “Duets” that enable customers to file themselves singing or dancing alongside one other consumer’s video.
Examples: Instagram Tales, Snapchat, TikTok, Tumblr and Weibo
How manufacturers can use interactive social media apps:
- Create a branded Snapchat Lens or Filter that your viewers can play with
- Encourage customers to Duet your TikTok video to win a prize
- Keep energetic within the remark part of Weibo Tales
10. Dialogue boards
Overview: Dialogue boards are on-line platforms the place folks can ask questions, give solutions and begin discussions on quite a lot of matters. For instance, Reddit has communities (known as subreddits) for almost each subject possible, from jokes to cryptocurrency.
Manufacturers can go to boards to interact in social listening—studying what individuals are saying about them and getting suggestions from clients and potential clients.
Examples: Reddit, Quora and Stack Overflow
How manufacturers can use dialogue boards:
- Crowdsource product suggestions and concepts in related discussion board threads
- Present buyer assist in boards the place your individuals are discussing your model
- Take part in related subreddits and reply questions associated to your business
11. Microblogging platforms
Overview: Microblogging is a kind of social media advertising that enables customers to submit quick updates or messages. Twitter is essentially the most well-known instance of microblogging, permitting customers to tweet in 140 characters or much less.
Whereas microblogging was as soon as dominated by Twitter, platforms like LinkedIn and Tumblr have additionally turn out to be fashionable microblogging websites.
Examples: Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest and LinkedIn
How manufacturers can use microblogging platforms:
- Use hashtags to hitch conversations about your business or product
- Share information, articles and different content material related to your followers
- Provide buyer assist or reply questions in microblogs or feedback
Overview: Neighborhood running a blog websites are platforms the place folks can come collectively to write down articles, share concepts and collaborate on tasks. Most group running a blog websites concentrate on a selected area of interest or subject, which makes them an ideal useful resource for locating new content material concepts and connecting with different like-minded people. In addition they are likely to have very engaged customers, which could be useful for selling your model or product.
Examples: Medium, GrowthHackers, BlogEngage and DoSplash
How manufacturers can use group running a blog websites:
- Create or curate content material round a selected subject
- Construct relationships with different bloggers in your area of interest
- Generate visitors again to your individual weblog
13. Social assessment websites
Overview: In accordance with Statista, 36% of consumers use online reviews to tell their buy choices. Lots of them additionally belief on-line critiques as a lot as private suggestions.
Curating, gathering and fascinating along with your on-line critiques is important to success in lots of industries as we speak. Plus, do you know you’ll be able to submit on to your Google Enterprise Profile utilizing Sprout Social?
Examples: Google Enterprise Profile, Amazon, Yelp and Fb
How manufacturers can use social assessment websites:
- Monitor and reply to critiques in a well timed method
- Encourage completely happy clients to depart optimistic critiques
- Use adverse critiques as a possibility to enhance your enterprise
14. Social curation and bookmarking websites
Overview: Social bookmarking allows you to save net pages so you’ll be able to revisit them later. These websites additionally enable customers so as to add annotations, share bookmarks with others and uncover new content material.
Use one of these social media to curate content material in your group or clients. It’s additionally an ideal place to create a content material bucket than you’ll be able to repurpose throughout your social media channels.
Examples: Pocket (pictured above), Digg, Pinterest and Combine
How manufacturers can use social curation and bookmarking websites:
- Create a content material bucket that your group can use on social
- Gathering buyer analysis and insights
- Discover related content material to share along with your viewers and put it aside for later
Which sort of social media is true for your enterprise?
The kinds of social media websites you utilize for your enterprise must be primarily based in your targets. If you wish to improve model consciousness, think about using a mixture of social networking and content material curation websites. When you’re trying to construct relationships with clients, concentrate on social networking websites. And if you wish to generate leads or gross sales, think about using social bookmarking or e-commerce websites.
When you’re utilizing a number of kinds of social media advertising in your technique, think about using a social media administration platform like Sprout Social. With Sprout, you’ll be able to share content material throughout main social channels, have interaction along with your viewers and observe the efficiency of your social media campaigns from one location. Begin your free trial as we speak!