One of the best ways to increase productivity among employees is allowing them to work from anywhere. Not only does Work From Anywhere make workers more productive but it increases employee satisfaction as well. It’s true that some things can only be done in the office. However, as technology advances, more and more employees are able to work from anywhere.
Fortunately, there are a variety of great tools and apps out there that could help with that. But what exact equipment and software do you need to make that happen?
How to Choose the Right Tools for Your Team
Evaluating tech tools might sound stressful. With so many options available, it’s all too easy to feel overwhelmed. But if you break it down into six simple questions, you will be able to find the best equipment and software tools for your team.
- What’s your goal?
- What do you need the software or equipment for?
- What are your employees’ role in your business’ key processes and which of those can be improved using tech tools?
- What tools and equipment are you currently using? Which need replacing and why?
- What features do you need?
- How much does it cost?
- Is it easy to use?
Best Equipment for Working From Anywhere
Whether you’re new to working from anywhere or a veteran, here are some pieces of equipment that you definitely need to consider for an effective Work From Anywhere employee:
- Noise Canceling Headphones. If you choose to work in public areas, then having noise canceling headphones helps you tune out from distractions and noise. It also allows you to establish a personal work “bubble” even in public spaces, such as coffee shops.
- Laptop Stand. Getting a laptop stand allows for proper ergonomics anywhere you might choose to work. Make sure to get one with adjustable height settings and with the right size to fit your laptop model.
- Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Look for ones with long battery life so you won’t spend more time in charging than using them. Be aware of noise levels, too—some keyboards are much louder than others.
- Portable Monitor. Portable monitors offer flexibility if you will need to pack up your office each day. They are smaller than standard monitors, though, so make sure the resolution and size will still suit the requirements of your job.
- High Quality Webcam. Since most communication will be done online, you’ll want a first rate webcam to put you in a professional light.
- Microphone. Just like you need a quality webcam for your colleagues to see you better, you’ll need a quality microphone so that they can hear you clearly.
Best Software for Working From Anywhere
Let’s explore some of the best software for Work From Anywhere employees.
Communication and Collaboration
Founder and CEO of division5 Engjell Rraklli says when you are working remotely, “… you’re most likely hundreds of miles away from the people you work with. You don’t get to see each other in person, all you have is online communication forms such as texting and calls. You can’t afford bad communication. Actually, to make remote work, you need to communicate frequently, as transparently as possible.”
Some of the best team chat apps and software are:
- Microsoft Teams
- Google Chat
Consider the preferred communication method of your employees. When choosing the right tool for your team, find one that is easy to use and offers the necessary features. It should also allow collaboration among your team members.
Rhonadale Florentino, HR Consultant & Strategist at UpRush Social Geekers, claimed, “WFA does not mean we 100% do not get to see each other. Every once in a while, we schedule meetups with each other, but not for work. Mostly to just connect with each other and check how everyone is doing.”
Video calls are handy for meetings and check ins. It allows you to build camaraderie, encourage employees to engage with one another, and get to know your members more.
Some of the best video conferencing tools include:
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams
- Webex Meetings
Note taking tools allows you to stay organized so you don’t end up with a desktop full of sticky notes. Some great note taking apps include:
- Microsoft OneNote
- Google Keep
To smoothly track and manage your projects, especially those that need to be done in a specific order or more complex workflows, these project management tools can be a great help:
Maria Bramasole, Digital Marketing Manager at Sealit, states, “Humans are, of course, the weakest link in an organization’s security.” That’s because they can unknowingly put data at risk. Since you’ll be storing business information on laptops and smartphones, cybersecurity is all the more important.
Consider the following measures and find the appropriate software tools:
- File and disk encryption
- Online backup
- Password manager
Why Having the Right Technology in Place is Important
The answer is simple.
When you don’t have the proper equipment and software when working from anywhere, it would be impossible to maintain a good performance.
As the Account Executive at Technology Integration Group Patricia Anglada shares, “Remote work requires a blend of powerful hardware and software to create a secure, engaging, and productive environment.”
Lack of appropriate resources pose risks to employee productivity and performance. It can also impact business efficiency and information security. That’s why you can’t consider working from anywhere without the appropriate technology as they play an indispensable role in it.