Attempting to resolve between Instagram Reels vs. TikTok?
You’re not alone — manufacturers are going all in on bite-sized video content material proper now.
Meals for thought: a staggering 89% of marketers plan to extend (or preserve) their funding in short-form video in 2022.
That’s as a result of brief movies are the right method to construct model consciousness and educate clients with out shedding their consideration.
However content material on Reels and TikTok is completely completely different than just about the rest you want on social media. For those who don’t fairly “get it,” we will help!
On this information, we’ll break down these two dominant short-form social platforms together with similarities, variations and finest practices for each.
What’s TikTok, anyway?
With over 1 billion month-to-month energetic customers, TikTok is booming as the hub of short-form video on social media.
TikTok’s trademark? Loud looping movies that you just share with your mates.
The platform is notorious for off-the-cuff video content material that doesn’t take itself too critically. In contrast to different social networks the place movies may be meticulously edited, unpolished and natural content material tends to carry out finest on TikTok.
Right here’s a fast rundown of the kinds of movies which can be well-liked on TikTok:
- Hashtag challenges
- Skits and memes
- Product showcases, evaluations and proposals
- How-tos and tutorials
- Explainer movies
Though TikTok’s status is something however businesslike, the platform is rightfully attracting interest from brands. Product-centric posts and proposals dominate the platform.
This alerts an enormous window of alternative for entrepreneurs and advertisers. The truth is, 84% of marketers are rising their spending on TikTok.
The excellent news? The entire content material varieties above are completely truthful recreation for manufacturers. TikTok’s emphasis on neighborhood and sharing empowers manufacturers to make connections with clients whereas additionally displaying off merchandise in motion.
For instance, manufacturers like Yours Skincare have constructed an natural and advert presence on TikTok that facilities round skincare suggestions, product showcases and explainer movies breaking down magnificence product substances.
Coupled with quick edits, voice-overs and in-app music, these movies seamlessly mix leisure worth with schooling. This not solely empowers manufacturers to point out off what they’re promoting but in addition lets their model voice shine.
For those who’re nonetheless making an attempt to wrap your head across the platform, take a look at our fast information to TikTok.
What are Instagram Reels?
Launched in 2020, Reels symbolize Instagram’s response to TikTok re: short-form video.
That’s form of the place the “Reels vs. TikTok” narrative comes from. Reels shares lots of the similar options and features of TikTok which is why the 2 platforms are sometimes considered interchangeably with regards to video content material.
Latest Instagram stats reveal that Reels are among the many platform’s hottest options. Coupled with Tales, carousels and even longer-form video, the discharge of Reels permits manufacturers on Instagram to cowl all of their bases with regards to visible content material.
Whereas TikTok leans closely on developments, movies on Reels are inclined to resemble extra “conventional” video content material that’s merely stylized to suit the vertical format.
Within the early days of Reels, many manufacturers would merely cross-post content material immediately from TikTok. That modified rapidly when Instagram introduced that their algorithm would deprioritize content containing the TikTok watermark. This has not solely diminished direct cross-posting but in addition inspired manufacturers to reimagine what they need to do with Reels at giant.
Standard amongst ecommerce manufacturers, Reels are sometimes used to:
- Showcase merchandise in motion
- Spotlight collaborators and influencers
- Hype up bulletins (product launches and drops, for instance)
Take a look at Stitch Fix’s Reels tab, for reference. Discover the mix of seemingly “natural” content material versus the extra conventional movies with stylized textual content and backdrops.
The movies themselves aren’t so completely different from what you would possibly see on TikTok when it comes to visuals and music (though they’re arguably a bit extra polished).
Consider Reels as an extension of your present Instagram presence the place your model will be found past your feed through Instagram’s native search or the Reels tab on any profile.
That is the place TikTok differs since their content material discovery primarily occurs by way of your “For You” web page (FYP).
To be taught extra, take a look at our breakdown of how Instagram Reels work.
Instagram Reels vs. TikTok: evaluating options and traits
The battle of Reels vs. TikTok looks like a fair matchup contemplating each platforms encourage short-form video content material.
That mentioned, they’re removed from the identical.
Let’s take a deeper dive into the similarities and variations shared by each networks.
Reels vs. TikTok: how they’re related
There’s no denying the similarities between the platforms. In any case, Reels was a direct results of TikTok’s rising recognition.
And so that you’ll usually see the identical items of content material overlap throughout branded accounts with delicate variations when it comes to creatives, captions and hashtags. See hair care model Arctic Fox Hair Color’s content material under:
Past what we’ve already mentioned, right here’s a fast rundown of what Reels and TikTok have in frequent:
- Each platforms are centered round short-form video. Once more, each Reels and TikTok are prime locations for enjoyable, off-the-cuff movies. There’s arguably no higher place to see manufacturers flex their creativity. Product shout-outs and proposals are truthful recreation, granted no matter you put up is loaded with leisure worth.
- Entry to a sound library. Each platforms permit customers to seamlessly connect sound results, music, and audio snippets to any given piece of content material. From memes and unique audio to what’s on the radio and past, entry to sound libraries encourages manufacturers to make their movies “loud”.
- Filters and visible results. Aesthetics matter for manufacturers on social media. Visible results and filters make your movies “pop” and mean you can put your trademark on something you put up.
- Advertisements. Shock, shock: short-form video is changing into an more and more well-liked avenue for advertisements. Though TikTok advertisements are nonetheless comparatively younger, they’re changing into a staple of influencer advertising and marketing campaigns as creators showcase their newest purchases.
- Alternatives for accounts to work together. By way of Reels’ “Collab” possibility and TikTok’s “Duet”, accounts can work together side-by-side and create completely new items of content material collectively.
Reels vs. TikTok: how they’re completely different
We’ll say it once more: TikTok and Reels aren’t similar! Listed here are the important thing variations that entrepreneurs ought to know:
- Video size. Each TikTok and Reels have truly expanded the period of their movies since launching. TikTok started with 15, 30 and 60-second uploads however now permits for movies as much as 10 minutes lengthy. Instagram Reels additionally presents three video lengths of 15, 30 and 60-seconds. Even with these expanded choices, information says that creating shorter-form movies is good for each platforms.
- Music and sound choices. TikTok customers have a wider number of audio supplies whereas Instagram enterprise accounts are usually not allowed to make use of copyrighted music. That mentioned, latest updates on Reels will embrace new text-to-speech and voice effect features.
- Viewers. Whereas each platforms are well-liked amongst youthful audiences, social media demographics level to how well-liked TikTok is with Gen Z and youngsters.
- Availability. For those who’re already on Instagram, you have already got entry to Reels (which can be found to entry in 50 countries). On the flip aspect, TikTok is banned in some areas attributable to censorship legal guidelines and has confronted some scrutiny attributable to privateness considerations.
- Analytics. TikTok analytics tracks each the general profile and particular person video efficiency. This consists of big-picture metrics like whole playtime, common watch time and geolocation. Whereas Instagram customers equally needed to depend on basic Instagram analytics, the platform rolled out Reels-specific information to get particular insights. This covers metrics resembling performs, interactions, attain, “likes”, feedback, and saves.
- Promoting alternatives. Each platforms are rolling out new advert options and rightfully so. That mentioned, TikTok places a a lot larger emphasis on creator-based advertisements and campaigns versus Instagram’s extra conventional, shoppable advertisements through Reels.
Can’t choose between Reels vs. TikTok? Why not each?
Each TikTok’s fast progress and the recognition of Reels sign the significance of short-form video transferring ahead.
Whereas competitors is fierce in industries resembling style and wonder, there are such a lot of alternatives with regards to short-form branded movies.
Whether or not you stick to at least one platform or go along with each, you have to brainstorm tips on how to tie your social video campaigns to precise enterprise objectives.
For those who haven’t already, be sure to learn our information to constructing a social media advertising and marketing technique that does precisely that.